Activism consists of efforts to promote, impede, or direct social, political, economic, or environmental change. Activism can take a wide range of forms from writing letters to newspapers or politicians, political campaigning, rallies, street marches, and sit-ins. Activist groups in the U.S. are using social media to facilitate civic engagement and collective action.

Spread the Word

  • Send letters to your U.S. senators and representative, about specific bills using our NORML friend MPP’s free and easy automated system. And to contact your state legislators, use the pull-down menu to the right to choose your state.
  • Spread the word. Help increase the number of subscribers to Houston NORML’s social network. Click here be added to the Houston NORML email list.
  • Get published. Write letters to the editor of your local newspaper about the need for marijuana policy reform. Feel free to use any of the information in Houston NORML’s e-mail alerts and on our web site in your letters. And feel free to publish them to any of the Houston NORML’s social networks.
  • Ask your local radio stations to run Houston NORML radio ads as public service announcements.
  • Distribute HOUSTON NORML literature in your community. Download our printer-friendly handouts and brochures.
  • If you’re a talk radio listener, call in and express support for reforming our marijuana laws. Even if the subject being discussed isn’t explicitly about marijuana, many related issues can be a springboard for urging reform. For example, if the issue is crime, you can point out that law enforcement resources are better spent going after violent criminals than on arresting adults who use marijuana responsibly.
  • Contact HOUSTON NORML for help in arranging meetings with your state legislators and congressional representatives. Personal face-to-face visits to these offices can have considerable influence on elected officials.

Get Involved

  • Become a dues-paying member of HOUSTON NORML. We rely solely on our members’ financial contributions to fund our work.
  • If you are a medical professional, lawyer, elected official, medical marijuana patient (or have a loved one who is), or member of the clergy or law enforcement, contact HOUSTON NORML about special ways you can help.
  • If you’re a college student, join Students for Sensible Drug Policy (SSDP). Visit SSDP’s Web site to learn about starting a chapter at your school or joining an existing one.